- French Court confirms exclusion of Brits from municipal elections
The Council of State, France’s top administrative court, has confirmed that Britons in France can no longer stand as candidates in municipal elections.
26th February 2020
- Locked out: the Brits in the EU who may not be able to return to the UK
British citizens who want to return to the UK with their EU families after 30 March 2022 will be subject to stringent UK immigration rules
22nd February 2020
- How settled status can become a trap for non-EU family members of dual EU-British citizens
For non-EU family members of EU nationals who become dual UK-EU citizens without meeting permanent residence requirements, the consequences could be serious.
12th February 2020
- EU Commission vows to look after Brits in EU as member states plan new residence schemes
On Brexit day, EU member states started to provide information on the schemes they will introduce for British residents.
2nd February 2020
- Who will oversee post-Brexit rights
The withdrawal agreement bill creates an Independent Monitoring Authority to oversee how the citizens’ rights sections of the Brexit deal.
24th December 2019
- Spain and France ready to sign dual citizenship agreement
Spain and France are preparing to sign an agreement to mutually allow dual citizenship for their nationals, a "strong symbol of European integration."
7th December 2019
- Who do governments represent? The history of voting rights for Brits abroad
It was not until 1985 that the law relating to parliamentary elections in the UK extended the right to vote to UK nationals living overseas.
29th November 2019
- Meet the man living in France who is challenging Boris Johnson in his constituency
It is unusual to hear candidates standing for election asking people not to vote for them. But that’s what William Tobin says.
24th November 2019
- Interview with Dutch MP Sjoerdsma on Brexit dual citizenship exception and why Brits are excluded
Exclusive interview with MP behind the bill allowing Dutch nationals in the UK to apply for UK citizenship without having to renounce to the Dutch passport.
3rd November 2019
- The Brexit deal and your rights: 20 things you need to know
The United Kingdom and the European have reached a new Brexit agreement. What does it say about your rights? Here is a recap.
27th October 2019
- Could British citizens benefit from a new EU long-term residence directive?
The new EU Commission will review the directive on the status of third-country nationals, which will apply to UK citizens in the EU after Brexit.
13th October 2019
- From application to registration: pressure grows on UK residence scheme following EU nationals deportation threat
Pressure is mounting on the UK government to make the EU settlement scheme a registration rather than an application process.
13th October 2019
Subscribe to the newsletter