- UK citizens will find out the hard way the value of the EU Charter
UK citizens won’t suddenly find themselves devoid of rights the day the UK leaves the EU. For this reason, the topic is unlikely to get the cut-through necessary to inform the public about the changes likely to occur.
1st June 2018
- What happens to Brits when EU free movement ends
If free movement with EU countries ends, what are the options for British citizens who want to move and live in the EU after Brexit?
28th May 2018
- Campaigners prepare legal action against new data protection bill
The new UK Data Protection Bill includes an exemption that will allow state bodies and other organisations to use people’s data without them being aware nor having access to it if it is a matter of “effective immigration control”. Campaigners are preparing legal action against these measures.
10th May 2018
- House of Lords committee slams UK citizenship procedure
A House of Lords committee has criticised the procedure to obtain UK citizenship, saying that from costs to tests, those who wish to naturalise British face “particularly steep” barriers.
2nd May 2018
- How settled status should work according to the European parliament
Members of the European parliament wrote to the UK Home Secretary making recommendations on how the planned system to register the 3.5 million EU citizens living in the UK after Brexit should work.
1st May 2018
- How to avoid a replica of the Windrush scandal for EU citizens in UK
In the UK by right, the "Windrush generation" of Commonwealth citizens have seen their status changing over the years. Could the same happen to EU nationals in the future?
22nd April 2018
- Spouses, civil partners and durable partners: EU Court delivers opinion on UK residence rights
The Advocate General of the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) has delivered his opinion on whether the cases of durable partners of returning British citizens should be dealt with under EU rules as opposed to national law.
20th April 2018
- 500 characters to remain EU citizens
Some nine million people have taken part in European Citizens’ Initiatives (ECIs) since their inception in April 2012. These are formal mass petitions to the European Commission. UK nationals will no longer be able to participate after Brexit.
20th April 2018
- The EU citizens at risk of failing to secure ‘settled status’ after Brexit
The latest research from the Migration Observatory says that in practice it won’t be that easy to ensure that all EU citizens living in the UK will still have the right to do so with settled status after Brexit.
15th April 2018
- What we know (and what we don’t) about settled status of EU nationals in UK
After Brexit, EU nationals living in the UK will have to apply for ‘settled status’, a new system that replaces the permanent residence card. Here is what we know about it.
12th April 2018
- Analysis: Why Brexit creates a new category of European citizens in search of a status
How watertight is the guarantee that EU citizens in the UK and British citizens in the EU will have life-long protection in reality? There are many risks and issues at stake.
4th April 2018
- How France and other EU countries deal with returning citizens
What is being done by the EU27 states to help and repatriate their citizens returning from the UK? France and other EU countries have started to take action.
2nd April 2018
Subscribe to the newsletter