- Croatia to join border-free Schengen area in 2023, Romania and Bulgaria left out
Croatia will join the border-control free Schengen area in 2023, while Bulgaria and Romania will have to wait longer.
8th December 2022
- EU citizens urged to report sickness insurance problems to seek compensation
Thousands of people may have lost residence rights and welfare benefits due to an obscure provision declared illegal by the EU Court.
9th October 2022
- Brexit 'rewriting history of Europeans in the UK' - Interview with the3million CEO
Six years after the UK voted to leave the EU, Nicolas Hatton, CEO of the3million, discusses the status of EU citizens in the UK.
23rd June 2022
- EU's top court confirms Brits lost EU citizenship because of Brexit
The Court of Justice of the EU has ruled that UK nationals cannot retain EU citizenship because the country is no longer part of the bloc.
9th June 2022
- Franco-Spanish dual nationality becomes possible as bilateral agreement takes effect
France has become the first non-Spanish or Portuguese-speaking country to which Spain grants the possibility of dual citizenship.
5th April 2022
- EU parliament calls for ‘golden passport’ ban and ‘golden visa’ regulation
The European Parliament has called for the phasing out of 'citizenship by investment' programmes and regulation on 'residence by investment' schemes in the EU.
13th March 2022
- EU Advocate General says UK nationals cannot keep EU citizenship benefits
Advocate General says the loss of EU citizenship rights for UK citizens is a consequence of the “sovereign decision" to leave the EU.
24th February 2022
- British in Europe closing down after 5 years: interview with co-chair Jane Golding
As the British in Europe coalition closes its activities, co-chair Jane Golding reflects about the past 5 years, Brexit and EU citizenship.
20th February 2022
- EU-UK committee hears several thousands still to secure post-Brexit residence rights
The specialised committee on citizens’ rights set up under the withdrawal agreement takes stock of the situation in EU countries and the UK.
27th January 2022
- EU top court clarifies rule of absences for long-term residence
The EU top court has clarified how long non-EU citizens have to be present in the EU to maintain long-term resident status, a rule that extends to the Brexit agreement.
23rd January 2022
- After a year resolving disputes, EU citizens watchdog takes Home Office to court
The Independent Monitoring Authority believes the procedure to convert from pre-settled to settled status breaches the Brexit agreement.
21st December 2021
- New German government to change nationality law and allow multiple citizenship
The new German government will change the citizenship law and allow multiple nationalities, an option currently available only to some.
12th December 2021