- Toolkits, events, funds: how to get support to inform EU nationals ahead of Brexit
May EU citizens are not aware of what they need to do to secure their rights in the UK after Brexit. So EU and UK authorities are supporting information initiatives.
2nd August 2018
- [Updated] Spouses, civil partners and durable partners: EU Court judgement on UK residence rights
The Advocate General of the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) has delivered his opinion on whether the cases of durable partners of returning British citizens should be dealt with under EU rules as opposed to national law.
31st July 2018
- UK to start trial of ‘settled status’ application process in August
The trial of the digital application process to grant EU nationals the right to stay in the UK post-Brexit will start on 28 August.
22nd July 2018
- British group launches initiative to make EU citizenship permanent
Fresh attempt by British nationals to remain EU citizens after the UK leaves the European Union: a petition will start on 23 July.
19th July 2018
- Home Office unveils details about settled status scheme for EU nationals
The UK Home Office published details on how it plans to register EU nationals living in the country, so their right to stay will be formally recognized after Brexit. It is the first time details are set out in a ministerial document providing some certainty, more than 700 days after the UK voted to leave the EU.
21st June 2018
- Dutch court deals blow to British hoping to maintain EU citizenship
British residents in EU countries were counting on a ruling of the European Court of Justice to maintain the right to move freely in the EU after Brexit. But today an Amsterdam court dashed their hopes.
19th June 2018
- Lack of information threatening post-Brexit citizens’ status
More efforts are needed to inform Irish and other EU nationals in the UK, as well as British residents in the EU of what changes and what they need to do to secure their status post-Brexit, a parliamentary commitee was told this week.
10th June 2018
- UK citizens will find out the hard way the value of the EU Charter
UK citizens won’t suddenly find themselves devoid of rights the day the UK leaves the EU. For this reason, the topic is unlikely to get the cut-through necessary to inform the public about the changes likely to occur.
1st June 2018
- What happens to Brits when EU free movement ends
If free movement with EU countries ends, what are the options for British citizens who want to move and live in the EU after Brexit?
28th May 2018
- Campaigners prepare legal action against new data protection bill
The new UK Data Protection Bill includes an exemption that will allow state bodies and other organisations to use people’s data without them being aware nor having access to it if it is a matter of “effective immigration control”. Campaigners are preparing legal action against these measures.
10th May 2018
- House of Lords committee slams UK citizenship procedure
A House of Lords committee has criticised the procedure to obtain UK citizenship, saying that from costs to tests, those who wish to naturalise British face “particularly steep” barriers.
2nd May 2018
- How settled status should work according to the European parliament
Members of the European parliament wrote to the UK Home Secretary making recommendations on how the planned system to register the 3.5 million EU citizens living in the UK after Brexit should work.
1st May 2018
Subscribe to the newsletter