- Deal or no deal: the rights that will be lost with Brexit
An overview of the rights of EU citizens in the UK and British citizens in the EU under the draft Brexit “deal” and in the event of “no deal”.
23rd September 2018
- May vows to protect rights of EU nationals as no deal Brexit looms
Theresa May announced that the UK will unilaterally guarantee the right of EU nationals to stay after Brexit, if Brexit negotiations with the EU fail.
23rd September 2018
- Netherlands to loosen up dual citizenship rules
The Dutch government plans to relax citizenship rules extending the chances to obtain dual nationality.
15th September 2018
- German cabinet approves dual nationality exception for Brexit transition
The German cabinet approved a bill to allow Brits and Germans who naturalise in the other country during the Brexit transition to keep both passports.
5th September 2018
- Germany plans British exception to citizenship rules during Brexit transition
Germany plans to allow British nationals who apply for German citizenship during the Brexit transition period to retain dual nationality.
4th August 2018
- Toolkits, events, funds: how to get support to inform EU nationals ahead of Brexit
May EU citizens are not aware of what they need to do to secure their rights in the UK after Brexit. So EU and UK authorities are supporting information initiatives.
2nd August 2018
- [Updated] Spouses, civil partners and durable partners: EU Court judgement on UK residence rights
The Advocate General of the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) has delivered his opinion on whether the cases of durable partners of returning British citizens should be dealt with under EU rules as opposed to national law.
31st July 2018
- UK to start trial of ‘settled status’ application process in August
The trial of the digital application process to grant EU nationals the right to stay in the UK post-Brexit will start on 28 August.
22nd July 2018
- British group launches initiative to make EU citizenship permanent
Fresh attempt by British nationals to remain EU citizens after the UK leaves the European Union: a petition will start on 23 July.
19th July 2018
- Home Office unveils details about settled status scheme for EU nationals
The UK Home Office published details on how it plans to register EU nationals living in the country, so their right to stay will be formally recognized after Brexit. It is the first time details are set out in a ministerial document providing some certainty, more than 700 days after the UK voted to leave the EU.
21st June 2018
- Dutch court deals blow to British hoping to maintain EU citizenship
British residents in EU countries were counting on a ruling of the European Court of Justice to maintain the right to move freely in the EU after Brexit. But today an Amsterdam court dashed their hopes.
19th June 2018
- Lack of information threatening post-Brexit citizens’ status
More efforts are needed to inform Irish and other EU nationals in the UK, as well as British residents in the EU of what changes and what they need to do to secure their status post-Brexit, a parliamentary commitee was told this week.
10th June 2018
Subscribe to the newsletter