- British in Europe closing down after 5 years: interview with co-chair Jane Golding
As the British in Europe coalition closes its activities, co-chair Jane Golding reflects about the past 5 years, Brexit and EU citizenship.
20th February 2022
- EU-UK committee hears several thousands still to secure post-Brexit residence rights
The specialised committee on citizens’ rights set up under the withdrawal agreement takes stock of the situation in EU countries and the UK.
27th January 2022
- EU top court clarifies rule of absences for long-term residence
The EU top court has clarified how long non-EU citizens have to be present in the EU to maintain long-term resident status, a rule that extends to the Brexit agreement.
23rd January 2022
- After a year resolving disputes, EU citizens watchdog takes Home Office to court
The Independent Monitoring Authority believes the procedure to convert from pre-settled to settled status breaches the Brexit agreement.
21st December 2021
- New German government to change nationality law and allow multiple citizenship
The new German government will change the citizenship law and allow multiple nationalities, an option currently available only to some.
12th December 2021
- EU laws you need to watch on residence and voting rights
The European Commission is about to propose the revision of laws concerning the rights of EU and non-EU citizens who move within the Union.
6th November 2021
- Next deadlines for British citizens in the EU under the withdrawal agreement
In many EU countries Britons who were resident before 31 December 2020 have still time to apply for their post-Brexit residence status. A recap of the deadlines.
14th October 2021
- After the elections, will Germany lift the ban on dual citizenship?
At present people obtaining German citizenship have to renounce their other nationality. Will that change after the elections?
20th September 2021
- Luxembourg makes voting easier for foreign residents
From next year voting in municipal elections will become easier for foreign nationals who live in Luxembourg.
12th September 2021
- Briton goes to court to defend his EU citizenship after exclusion from Berlin elections
A British national prevented from standing in Berlin’s municipal elections is arguing in court that he should keep his EU political rights.
5th September 2021
- UK guarantees temporary rights of EU citizens who missed ‘settled status’ deadline
EU citizens in the UK who missed the deadline to apply to the EU settlement scheme won’t face an immediate loss of rights.
7th August 2021
- EU Court rules UK can deny benefits to EU citizens with pre-settled status
The EU Court of Justice has dealt a blow to EU citizens with pre-settled status in the UK as it ruled denying them universal credit is not discrimination.
17th July 2021