- EU citizens not engaging enough in UK local politics, campaigners warn
Despite having kept the right to vote in local elections post-Brexit, many EU citizens are not participating in UK politics. A common problem in the EU.
4th October 2020
- Alarm as UK government flouts Brexit commitments: who will protect citizens’ rights?
What are the safeguards against breaches of the withdrawal agreement on citizens' rights?
13th September 2020
- Still unsettled: five things that need fixing in UK’s EU settlement scheme
The EU Settlement Scheme was meant to give a sense of security to EU citizens in the UK. But many still feel unsettled.
10th September 2020
- Campaigners launch one million signatures initiative for voting rights of EU citizens in other EU countries
The European Citizens’ Initiative Voters Without Borders calls for full voting rights for EU citizens living in other EU countries.
6th September 2020
- Brits in Germany seize last chance for dual citizenship
The number of Brits applying for German citizenship has increased by a staggering 2,300% between 2015 and 2019.
7th August 2020
- Visa, income requirements, healthcare fees: new rules for EU citizens moving to the UK from 2021
EU citizens who move to the UK from 2021 will have to apply for a visa, pay healthcare fees and pass criminality checks, under the new immigration system.
3rd August 2020
- Majority in EU support full voting rights for other EU citizens
More than six in ten participants in a recent EU survey agree that EU nationals living in another EU member state should vote in national elections.
14th July 2020
- Dutch Senate paves the way for dual citizenship for Dutch in the UK
The Dutch parliament has paved the way for Dutch nationals in the UK to be allowed dual citizenship should their rights “deteriorate” post-Brexit.
5th July 2020
- Poland and UK sign voting rights agreement
Poland has become the fourth EU state to sign an agreement with the UK to continue granting citizens of the other country voting rights in local elections.
2nd June 2020
- UK citizenship more distant for some EU nationals with ‘settled status’
Some EU citizens who have settled in the UK may have to wait longer than anticipated to naturalise as British citizens, under latest government guidance.
31st May 2020
- Moving across EU still difficult for social security, family rights
An ECAS report provides insight into the challenges EU citizens experience when exercising their freedom of movement rights in the EU.
24th May 2020
- EU and UK exchange accusations ahead of citizens’ rights committee meeting
On citizens' rights, the EU Commission launched an infringement procedure against the UK and the UK complained about inaction by EU member states.
17th May 2020
Subscribe to the newsletter