- Majority in EU support full voting rights for other EU citizens
More than six in ten participants in a recent EU survey agree that EU nationals living in another EU member state should vote in national elections.
14th July 2020
- Dutch Senate paves the way for dual citizenship for Dutch in the UK
The Dutch parliament has paved the way for Dutch nationals in the UK to be allowed dual citizenship should their rights “deteriorate” post-Brexit.
5th July 2020
- Poland and UK sign voting rights agreement
Poland has become the fourth EU state to sign an agreement with the UK to continue granting citizens of the other country voting rights in local elections.
2nd June 2020
- UK citizenship more distant for some EU nationals with ‘settled status’
Some EU citizens who have settled in the UK may have to wait longer than anticipated to naturalise as British citizens, under latest government guidance.
31st May 2020
- Moving across EU still difficult for social security, family rights
An ECAS report provides insight into the challenges EU citizens experience when exercising their freedom of movement rights in the EU.
24th May 2020
- EU and UK exchange accusations ahead of citizens’ rights committee meeting
On citizens' rights, the EU Commission launched an infringement procedure against the UK and the UK complained about inaction by EU member states.
17th May 2020
- Stranded abroad: how EU repatriations work and why some EU citizens struggled to return to the UK
Coronavirus travel restrictions have left some 600,000 EU citizens stranded overseas, according to data published by the European Commission.
6th May 2020
- A union of states or people? New court case about nature of EU citizenship
If successful, the case would establish that there is a relationship between the European Union and EU citizens beyond the belonging to an EU member state.
13th April 2020
- Coronavirus brings borders back in Europe
EU governments have responded to the crisis in different ways. Most countries have imposed lockdown measures, many have reintroduced border checks.
2nd April 2020
- Covid-19: UK groups, law firms concerned about lack of support to EU citizens most in need
Over 30 groups have written to the Home Office to raise concerns about the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the operation of the EU settlement scheme.
29th March 2020
- Settled status application: where to find online help during coronavirus lockdown
Here is where to find information and free online help to prepare the settled status application while the UK is in coronavirus lockdown.
29th March 2020
- Brits in the EU to be issued uniform residence card
Citizens’ rights group British in Europe has written to the EU Commission about the new residence card planned for UK nationals in the EU.
14th March 2020
Subscribe to the newsletter