- European Parliament elections set for 6-9 June 2024
The next European Parliament elections will be between 6 and 9 June 2024. EU citizens abroad, including in the UK, have voting rights too.
21st May 2023
- Allow EU citizens in other EU countries to be mayors, EU parliament says
EU citizens who live in another EU country can stand as candidates in local elections, but in several member states they cannot be mayors.
21st February 2023
- First time: Dutch abroad to start voting for the Senate
For the first time, Dutch citizens who live abroad will be able to vote for the Senate. The voting procedures will start this week.
12th February 2023
- Britons abroad surveyed about voting rights
The British in Europe coalition is running a survey among UK citizens abroad, not only in Europe, on the exercise of their voting rights.
12th February 2023
- Sweden tops European countries for expulsion of British citizens since Brexit
More than 2,800 British citizens were ordered to leave European countries between 2020 and September 2022, according to Eurostat data.
8th January 2023
- UK High Court rules parts of EU settled status unlawful
The requirement for EU citizens with pre-settled status to complete a second application to obtain full residence rights is unlawful.
27th December 2022
- Commission proposes EU-wide parental recognition to protect children of rainbow families
If you are a parent in one EU country, you should be recognised as a parent in all EU countries, the European Commission says.
11th December 2022
- Croatia to join border-free Schengen area in 2023, Romania and Bulgaria left out
Croatia will join the border-control free Schengen area in 2023, while Bulgaria and Romania will have to wait longer.
8th December 2022
- EU-wide helpline for women victims of violence to be launched next year
From April 2023 there will be a common helpline number across the European Union for women victims of violence, 116 016.
25th November 2022
- EU citizens urged to report sickness insurance problems to seek compensation
Thousands of people may have lost residence rights and welfare benefits due to an obscure provision declared illegal by the EU Court.
9th October 2022
- How a new European club could open opportunities for EU-UK youth exchanges
The European Political Community can open opportunities for student exchanges after Britain left the EU and its popular Erasmus+ programme.
7th October 2022
- Brexit 'rewriting history of Europeans in the UK' - Interview with the3million CEO
Six years after the UK voted to leave the EU, Nicolas Hatton, CEO of the3million, discusses the status of EU citizens in the UK.
23rd June 2022