- Moving across EU still difficult for social security, family rights
An ECAS report provides insight into the challenges EU citizens experience when exercising their freedom of movement rights in the EU.
24th May 2020
- EU and UK exchange accusations ahead of citizens’ rights committee meeting
On citizens' rights, the EU Commission launched an infringement procedure against the UK and the UK complained about inaction by EU member states.
17th May 2020
- Stranded abroad: how EU repatriations work and why some EU citizens struggled to return to the UK
Coronavirus travel restrictions have left some 600,000 EU citizens stranded overseas, according to data published by the European Commission.
6th May 2020
- A union of states or people? New court case about nature of EU citizenship
If successful, the case would establish that there is a relationship between the European Union and EU citizens beyond the belonging to an EU member state.
13th April 2020
- Coronavirus brings borders back in Europe
EU governments have responded to the crisis in different ways. Most countries have imposed lockdown measures, many have reintroduced border checks.
2nd April 2020
- Covid-19: UK groups, law firms concerned about lack of support to EU citizens most in need
Over 30 groups have written to the Home Office to raise concerns about the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the operation of the EU settlement scheme.
29th March 2020
- Settled status application: where to find online help during coronavirus lockdown
Here is where to find information and free online help to prepare the settled status application while the UK is in coronavirus lockdown.
29th March 2020
- Confusion about uniform residence card for Britons in EU
Citizens’ rights group British in Europe has written to the EU Commission about the new residence card planned for UK nationals in the EU.
14th March 2020
- New UK immigration system: everything changes for EU nationals
The British government plans to introduce a new immigration system from January 1st 2021, when free movement with the European Union is bound to end.
29th February 2020
- French Court confirms exclusion of Brits from municipal elections
The Council of State, France’s top administrative court, has confirmed that Britons in France can no longer stand as candidates in municipal elections.
26th February 2020
- Locked out: the Brits in the EU who may not be able to return to the UK
British citizens who want to return to the UK with their EU families after 30 March 2022 will be subject to stringent UK immigration rules
22nd February 2020
- How settled status can become a trap for non-EU family members of dual EU-British citizens
For non-EU family members of EU nationals who become dual UK-EU citizens without meeting permanent residence requirements, the consequences could be serious.
12th February 2020
Subscribe to the newsletter