- Brexit transition, second battle for EU nationals in UK
The second phase of Brexit talks started with the rights of EU nationals in the UK in the spotlight again. The discussion is about rights of those arriving during the transition period.
11th February 2018
- EU Court of Justice to rule whether Brits can retain EU citizenship post Brexit
The Amsterdam District Court will ask the European Court of Justice to clarify whether British nationals living in other EU countries can retain EU citizenship after the UK leaves the European Union.
7th February 2018
- Feeling foreign with a British passport
Going through the citizenship process and feeling more and more “foreigner”. It’s the struggle with identity described by a German who has lived in the UK for 27 years and recently became a British citizen.
26th January 2018
- Brits defend their EU citizenship in Dutch court
The Amsterdam District Court heard the arguments of a group of British citizens seeking to maintain EU citizenship after the UK leaves the European Union.
17th January 2018
- Brits bound to lose their rights in Europe under new trade deal
Ending free movement means that 65 million Brits will lose their automatic right to live, study and work in the EU in the future.
21st December 2017
- Details emerge on future "settled status" for EU nationals in UK
Details emerge on how EU nationals in the UK will get "settled status" after Brexit. But concerns remain on categories that might be excluded.
20th December 2017
- This is what the Brexit deal says on citizens’ rights
After months of negotiations, the EU and the UK reached a deal on the terms of the UK exit from the European Union. This is what it means for citizen's rights.
9th December 2017
- Who came up with the idea of EU citizenship? Spain
It was Spain that proposed in 1990 to include EU citizenship in the negotiations on the Maastricht Treaty. Now what does the Catalonia crisis tell us about it?
1st December 2017
- How a Facebook group is “removing bargaining chips from the Brexit table”
With support through a Facebook group, over 1,000 EU nationals in UK obtained permanent residence and more than 300 became British citizens since the beginning of the year. Interview with the person who started the initiative.
22nd November 2017
- Complaint filed against Sweden for breach of EU free movement rules
A civil rights group filed a complaint to the European Commission against Sweden for breach of EU rules on free movement.
21st November 2017
- EU parliament unconvinced by UK Home Office administrative procedure for EU nationals
Five hundred days after the EU referendum, the UK Home Office published a technical note clarifying the administrative procedure it intends to apply to recognise the position of EU nationals currently living in Britain.
12th November 2017
- French survey to plan support for UK residents
The British branch of Français du Monde, an organisation for French residents abroad, is surveying French nationals in the UK on the impact of Brexit.
25th October 2017
Subscribe to the newsletter